Did you know that seventy-three percent of spam emails are sent for identity theft? As scary as it sounds, the truth is that unsecured emails are one of the easiest tools for spammers, hackers, phishers, and other cyber-criminals that want access to your computer.
Malicious emails sent by such scammers have put thousands of individuals at risk of fraud. Email attacks are a common source of malware infections, phishing scams, and many other forms of cyber-attacks. Therefore, the importance of cybersecurity should never be underestimated.
Every year, millions of individuals fall victim to data breaches and hacking through their work or personal email. Emails may have a lot of our personal information. They include everything from our shopping history to medical problems, bank details, and even intimate conversations. Cyber criminals can hack your emails to send harmful malware to family, colleagues, and friends by impersonating you. So, it’s essential to secure your emails before these illicit actors jeopardize your privacy and well-being.
VPNgeniX is one of the best VPN service providers. We’re dedicated to making the internet browsing experience more private and safer for businesses and individuals alike. Our VPN proxy servers boost industry standards by enhancing the accessibility, quality, and anonymity of your digital experience.
Moreover, our products can secure your emails from cybercriminals as they’re encrypted with antiviruses and equipped with the greatest level of internet security. Continue reading to learn more about some important measures you should take to secure your emails from unwanted interruptions.
Importance Of Emails
Emails are undoubtedly one of the most used communication tools in this digital era. A recent survey reported that the number of email users worldwide rose to 4.37 billion in 2023. Be it personal communication or work-related emails, here’s why emails continue to gain popularity:
- An effective method of communication:Emails are valuable tools for effective communication, particularly in a professional setting. It allows individuals to convey their thoughts and ideas clearly and concisely and to reach out to people not physically present. Emails can also be used to clarify doubts, ask questions, and receive feedback, which can help one makes informed decisions.
- It’s time-saving and convenient:Sending an email is much faster than writing a letter, printing it, and sending it through the post. Emails also allow you to reach many people simultaneously, which is particularly useful for businesses or organizations that need to send announcements or updates to their employees or customers.
- Allow easy documentation:Emails serve as a form of documentation, allowing you to keep track of important conversations and decisions.
Types Of Email Attacks
Emails have become an essential and popular form of communication thanks to their many advantages. Due to their popularity, emails are also cybercriminals’ favorite means to access your personal information. So, it’s vital to secure your emails to stay protected from cyber-attacks, such as:
- Phishing: Recent research states that phishing attacks haveincreased by sixty-one percent since 2022. Phishing is a type of email cyber-attack in which an attacker sends an email that seems trustworthy and reputable. For instance, it can look like a piece of information from social media accounts or banks. The email typically contains an attachment or link that, when clicked, directs the recipient to a fake website that looks like the legitimate one. The fake website then prompts the user to enter their personal information, such as their username and password, which the attacker can use to gain access to their other accounts.
- Spear phishing:Spear phishing is a targeted form of phishing in which the attacker researches their target to create a more convincing email. This might involve using information from social media profiles, company websites, or other sources to make the email appear more legitimate. Spear phishing emails are often used to target specific individuals, such as high-level executives or people with access to sensitive information.
- Whaling:Whaling is a form of spear phishing that specifically targets high-level executives or other key decision-makers within an organization. The email is designed to look like it comes from a trusted source, such as the CEO or a company executive, and often includes urgent or sensitive information. Whaling aims to trick the recipient into taking specific actions, such as transferring money or providing access to sensitive data.
- Malware:Malware is a type of email cyber-attack in which the attacker sends an email that contains an attachment or a link to a malicious website. When the attachment is opened, or the link is clicked, the recipient’s computer is infected with malware, which can take control of the system, steal sensitive information, or encrypt files for ransom.
- Ransomware:Ransomware is a type of malware that encrypts the victim’s files and demands payment in exchange for the decryption key. Ransomware attacks often start with a phishing email that contains a link or an attachment that, when clicked, installs the malware on the victim’s computer. The attacker then demands payment in exchange for the decryption key, which may or may not be provided.
- Business Email Compromise (BEC):BEC is a type of email cyber-attack in which an attacker impersonates an employee or a trusted contact to deceive the recipient into transferring money or sensitive information. BEC attacks can involve spoofing the sender’s email address, creating fake websites, or using social engineering tactics to trick the victim into taking a specific action.
How To Secure Your Email Account?
With evolving technology, keeping track of digital threats and staying protected from potential email attacks can be tough. At the same time, hearing about all these cyberattacks can be quite scary.
But don’t worry; we’ve got you! There are plenty of ways to stay protected from cyber criminals by securing your emails; let’s look at a few of these.
Create A Unique And Strong Password
Most of us have heard this advice multiple times. However, it’s surprising to see that many people still use the same login key or password for multiple accounts. While quite convenient, this practice can be very dangerous for the security of your email.
If a hacker gets hold of one address, they can easily access all other accounts. So it’s essential to secure your emails with alternate passwords that are difficult to crack. Experts recommend using a combination of lowercase and uppercase letters, symbols, and numbers in your password.
If you’re scared of forgetting complex passwords, use a password manager, hard drive, or a diary to record your login credentials.
However, it’s important to employ caution while using password managers. These apps depend on software programs and internet connectivity to store information; smart cybercriminals can also easily exploit these.
We recommend using secure VPN service providers, they mask your IP address and strengthen your internet connection to prevent cybercriminals from attacking your device.
Use The Anti-Spam Feature In Your Email
Did you know that approximately forty-five percent of all emails are considered to be spam? Since spam emails have become extremely common, email services have curated anti-spam features that allow us to avoid such irrelevant and potentially dangerous email threads. Reputable email providers like Gmail or Microsoft have an in-built spam folder that sends all suspicious emails to a separate filter.
This reduces the risk of interacting with spam emails as they’re not in the main inbox. However, email providers sometimes also send legitimate emails to the spam folder. Thus, you should check the folder occasionally to filter out emails manually. Remember to be cautious while doing so and don’t interact with unknown emails.
Block Mistrustful Email Addresses
Blocking suspicious email addresses is one of the best ways to secure your email from suspicious activity. Some spammers only approach you once. However, other cybercriminals may repeatedly try to get in touch through various means. Hence, you should always block email addresses that may be dangerous.
The blocking method is different for each email provider. The most common way to block is by selecting a particular email before clicking the block button. You can also do this by going to the account settings of your email.
Enable Two-Factor Authentication
Two-factor authentication is an invaluable method of securing your emails. You can also use it to protect your bank accounts, social media, and other digital means of communication. This process involves verifying the sign-in procedures through other trusted platforms or devices.
For instance, if someone’s logs into their email account, a pop-up notification will be sent to their smartphone or tablet to verify their identity.
Similarly, you can secure your email using authenticator apps, codes, or security keys. This enhances security, making it more difficult for malicious actors or cyber criminals to access your account even if they know your password or login credentials.
Install An Anti-Virus Software On Your Digital Devices
Anti-virus software is a must-have for all your digital devices including, smartphones, PC, tablets, or laptops. Cybercriminals have become smarter than ever and have devised new ways to perform unauthorized activities, demand ransom, or even steal data.
Anti-virus software frequently scans your digital device to detect and eradicate malicious activities to secure your email and other applications. Cybercriminals may send malware through email in the form of links and attachments. We recommend installing a VPN service with antivirus software to secure your email from dangerous programs.
Update The Email App Frequently
You can access your email accounts through the web or an app. Using an app makes it easier to check your email through a tablet or smartphone while you’re traveling. However, using an application also has its cons that cybercriminals can easily exploit. For example, a malicious actor can steal information or access your account through spam email.
Even though updates can be time-consuming and annoying, do it occasionally to secure your email. Doing so will help you eliminate any vulnerabilities or bugs. Moreover, updating your application will also unlock new security features that will take you one step ahead in securing your email.
Keep Burner Email
Have you ever wanted to sign-up or subscribe to a service but didn’t because you were unsure about security? Doing a little research about the platform can help you determine the program’s authenticity. However, if you’re unable to find much information about it, you can always try using a burner email.
A burner email is a temporary email that you can discard after use. Make sure not to link any important information or your mail email address to your burner account. This way, you don’t have to worry about scams or any other malicious activity since you don’t have much information on your burner account. It’s a short-term and easy way to secure your main email.
Use VPNgeniX’s Trusted Proxy VPN Services To Secure Your Emails From Cyber Attacks
Cybercriminals have become smart, but we’re smarter! We have some of the best VPN providers, such as NordVPN, Surfshark, and CyberGhost. Our proxy VPNs can secure your email by encrypting the internet traffic and preventing malicious actors from tampering with or intercepting your information.
These online VPN servers can easily mask your location and IP address which are one of the first tools a hacker uses to access your email address. Secure your emails from phishing attacks and other criminal activity by downloading our antivirus VPNs that are compatible with various devices, including MacOS, ChromeOS, iOS, and Android.
Get in touch with our experts now for more information!